F.L.E.S. stands for Foreign Language in the Elementary School. FLES Language skills are developed systematically, beginning in Kindergarten and continuing through 5th grade. Our goals are to develop functional proficiency with speaking, reading, and writing in Spanish, build an understanding and appreciation for other cultures, and strengthen the language competency of Spanish speaking students (native or heritage speakers).
Students at Oakridge Elementary School have 100 minutes of F.L.E.S. instruction a week:
- Kindergarten – 5th Grade — 2 times a week for 30 minutes
The FLES curriculum in Arlington provides opportunities for making connections between Spanish and other subjects, namely math and science. For example, students in Second Grade practice math skills by counting by 2’s and by 10’s or by making a bar graph of the students’ favorite colors. This allows the students to learn specific vocabulary (colors, in this case) in an authentic context (talking about what they like) while at the same time practicing an important math skill (making and reading bar graphs). In conjunction with the Science Office, curriculum was developed for Kindergarten through Fifth Grade that integrates specific science goals for each year group, aligned with Virginia Standards of Learning, with related content in Spanish.
Click below to practice Spanish conversations:
FLES Conversation Practice
Use the following links to practice Spanish:
- Listening practice: http://spanishplayground.net/online-spanish-audio-8-free-websites-kids-listening-spanish/
- Spanish apps: http://spanishplayground.net/apps-reading-in-spanish/
- Free activity books: http://spanishplayground.net/printable-spanish-activity-books-summer/
- Fun games in Spanish: http://spanishplayground.net/12-traditional-games-spanish/
Resources for Students
- Arlington Public Library Learn Languages website:http://library.arlingtonva.libguides.com/learnalanguage Arlington Public Library offers various ways of learning and practicing language, especially for children.
- BBC Languages website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages This site has resources, review games, and teaching videos in more than 30 languages.
- Brain Pop websites:
- en español: http://esp.brainpop.com/
Resources for Parents on Language Learning
- Center for Applied Linguistics website:http://www.cal.org/earlylang/benefits/benefits_of_being_bilingual.html This site contains articles about benefits of learning another language and other websites and resources that apply to language learning.
- New York Times article on bilingualism: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/opinion/sunday/the-benefits-of-bilingualism.html?_r=3& This article speaks to the impact that speaking another language can have on long-term intelligence.
- The Atlantic Times article on brain benefits for multilinguals:http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/10/more-languages-better-brain/381193/?single_page=true&google_editors_picks=true
FLES_Overview_2018 – Click here to view APS Program Overview.